Our trade-in policy
We apologize but due to Covid-19 we are currently not accepting book donations or books for trade credit until further notice.
We encourage you to bring in fine books for trade credit. Please call the store to book your appointment. Our limit is two boxes per customer per trade-in day. If you have an estate of more than 500 books, we’d be happy to make an appointment for a house call.
We accept books in almost-new condition. If your book is something we cannot use, we encourage you to donate them to the San Diego Book Project (sdbookproject.org) or your local library.
We accept books in exchange for store credit. The amount of credit may vary at the store representative’s discretion, but is typically 25% of what we will list the book for. Credit is kept on file at the store and can be applied to purchase other used books. Credit is not valid to purchase collectibles, new books or other merchandise – just other used books.
Please read this list carefully. Unfortunately we cannot accept:
- Hardcovers without their jackets
- Books with highlighting or underlining
- Books with loose bindings; smelly, moldy or water-damaged books
- Previously purchased books from the LPB 50 cent cart
- Book Club editions
- Audio books
- DVDs, CDs and vinyl
- Ex-library books
- Recent/contemporary hardcover fiction
- Readers’ Digest books
- Certain romance and mystery publishers
- Test Prep books
- Time-Life Books and certain other publishers